Below we explain how ShareTale, our partners, and other third parties use these technologies, your privacy settings and the other options you have.
What are cookies, pixels, and local storage?
A pixel is a small amount of code on a web page or in an email notification. As many services do, we use pixels to learn whether you’ve interacted with certain web or email content. This helps us measure and improve our services and personalize your experience on ShareTale.
Local storage is an industry-standard technology that allows a website or application to store information locally on your computer or mobile device. We use local storage to customize what we show you based on your past interactions with ShareTale.
Why does ShareTale use these technologies?
ShareTale uses these technologies to deliver, measure, and improve our services in various ways. These uses generally fall into one of the following categories:
- Authentication and security:
- To log you into ShareTale
- To protect your security
- To help us detect and fight spam, abuse, and other activities that violate the ShareTale Rules
For example, these technologies help authenticate your access to ShareTale and prevent unauthorized parties from accessing your account. They also let us show you appropriate content through our services.
- To remember information about your browser and your preferences
For example, cookies help us remember your preferred language or country that you are in. We can then provide you with ShareTale content in your preferred language without having to ask you each time you visit ShareTale. We can also customize content based on your country, such as showing you what ispopular near you, or to withhold certain content based on applicable local laws.
- Analytics and research:
- To help us improve and understand how people use our services, including ShareTale buttons and widgets, and ShareTale Ads
- Personalized content:
- To customize our services with more relevant content, like tailored Tales, ads, and suggestions for author to follow
For example, local storage tells us which parts of ShareTale you have viewed already so that we can show you the appropriate new content. Cookies can help us make smarter and more relevant suggestions about who you might enjoy following based on your visits to websites that have integrated ShareTale buttons or widgets.
- To help us deliver ads, measure their performance, and make them more relevant to you based on criteria like your activity on ShareTale and visits to our ad partners' websites
Our third-party advertising providers, including Google Analytics for Display Advertisers, also use these technologies for marketing on ShareTale’s behalf, including the delivery of interest-based ads and measurement of their performance. If you do not want our advertising providers to use your visits to ShareTale websites to show you personalized ads on our behalf, you can opt out using your Do Not Track browser setting. You can also opt out of Google Analytics by installing Google’s opt-out browser add-on, and out of interest-based Google ads using Google’s Ads Settings.
Where are these technologies used?
ShareTale uses these technologies on our own websites and services and on other websites that have integrated our services. This includes our advertising and platform partners’ websites and sites that use ShareTale buttons or widgets. Third parties may also use these technologies, for example, when you interact with their content from within our services, like when you click a link or stream media on ShareTale from a third-party service, and to help with the delivery of ads shown on and off of ShareTale.
What are my privacy options?
- For tailoring suggestions on ShareTale: If you do not want ShareTale to tailor suggestions for you based on your recent visits to websites that have integrated ShareTale buttons or widgets, you can turn off this feature using your ShareTale account settings or Do Not Track browser setting.
- For tailoring ads on ShareTale: If you do not want ShareTale to tailor ads based on our ad partners’ information, including cookies, you can turn off this feature using your ShareTale account settings. Then ShareTale will not match your account to cookie or other information shared by our ad partners for tailoring ads. You can also use your Do Not Track browser setting to turn off tailored ads.
- For using cookies: You can modify your settings in most web browsers to accept or deny all cookies, or to request your permission each time a site attempts to set a cookie. Although cookies are not required for some parts of our services, ShareTale may not work properly if you disable cookies entirely. For example, you cannot log into ShareTale.com if you've disabled all cookie use.